Nail biting is a common habit, but still many people seem to think it’s just simply something they shouldn’t do, and that is has no major health risks.
If you’re a chronic nail-biter yourself, don’t worry – it’s more common than you might think. Approximately 30% of people bite their nails regularly.
But most of us seem to be unaware the dangers and simply see it as a bit of an embarrassing habit that can leave your nails looking messy.
A young college student from Texas recently put out a video on TikTok to show people the dangers of nail biting after she nearly had to have her finger amputated due to developing an infection.
Lauren Nichols told the story of her lucky escape, and it came with a warning:
“To my fellow nail biters, stop what you’re doing. I almost had to get the tip of my finger amputated because I bite my nails.”
It all started when she noticed a green spot on her cuticle, and when it didn’t seem to be going away she visited the doctors.
They prescribed her antibiotics for paronychia, which is a skin infection that occurs around the nails, brought on by injury or irritation.
But even after taking the antibiotics the green spot remained, grew in size, and became more painful.
It got so bad that eventually Lauren decided to pop the spot, but this only made things worse.
So she returned to the doctor, who told her she needed to have surgery ASAP. She said:
“I dead a** almost had to have my fingertip amputated because I bite my nails.”
Thankfully the surgery was successful the finger amputation was avoided.
Talking to Buzzfeed, she explained:
“He [the doctor] told me that he has to amputate the tips of people’s fingers because the infection gets too bad, and that I’m lucky I came when I did”
This led her to making the video to warn people not to bite their nails due to the potential consequences.
Images: TikTok/Lauren Nichols